You can use Subject’s SFTP server to import your student, teachers, and sections into Subject from your Student Information System (SIS) and set up an automatic sync between your SIS and Subject, which will sync over roster changes from your SIS.
Step 1: Fill out Roster templates
- First, you will need to configure your SIS to share your roster and section information with Subject’s SFTP server.
- Download the three SFTP file templates. Please complete all three files according to these instructions.
- We recommend using the following naming convention for your sections:
- Term and Year - Teacher/Counselor Name
Summer 2023 - Jane Doe
Fall 2023 - John Doe
Step 2: Upload your roster files to Subject’s SFTP Server
- Here is Subject’s SFTP Server information:
- Server: transfer.subject.com
- Port: 22
- Path: /sftp
- Username and Password will be provided by your Customer Success Manager.
- Once your files are uploaded, please notify your Customer Success Manager. Subject’s system will pull these files to create users and sections within our platform.
Step 3: Set up an Automatic Sync between your SIS and Subject
- Next, set up your SIS to automatically export your data to the Subject SFTP Server at a set cadence.
- By default, Subject will automatically sync every night at 3 AM PST so that any roster changes made in your SIS will appear in Subject the next day.
- Upon request, our team can set up your sync to occur multiple times a day at any time of day that is convenient for your school. If you would like this option, please let us know at email@example.com.
- Please note, you will not be able to make separate roster changes in Subject. All roster changes must be made in your SIS and they will be auto-synced into Subject.
Step 4: Enroll your roster
- You can enroll your roster into their courses using Subject’s Educator Portal.
- Check for an email titled “You've been invited to Subject! 🚀”.
- Accept your invite and set a password for your account.
- After creating your account, you will be taken to your school’s Educator Portal.
- Enrollments on Subject are assigned at the section level.
- Select a section from the dropdown in the top left.
- Use the checkboxes to select students from the table that you want to enroll. Then select a course from the dropdown and click Enroll.
- TIP: To see and edit the enrollments of an individual student, click on their name in the Roster table. This will open up their individual account page.
- To add or remove enrollments, click Edit next to Enrollments.
Step 5: You’re done!
Your students and teachers are now ready to use Subject!
Need additional help?
If you encounter any issues or have questions regarding this process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.